What are fit foods? Fit foods are items that are truly healthy for you without any added sugar, refined sugars, artificial ingredients or trans fats. They are foods you can eat and not only feel great about eating them but know that these foods are doing something healthy for your body. They are foods that are relatively easy to obtain without having to make special orders or search endlessly for a rare item. This list of 10 fit foods provides a great resource for snacks and tiny meals to grab when you are in a pinch. Making choices that fit into your calorie goal is so important but it’s also important to make sure that your choices are will help you nutritionally.
1. Apple – A medium apple contains about 95 calories. Wash and bite into a big juicy apple for a quick snack that you can take with you.
2. Orange – One large orange has approximately 90 calories. Get your vitamin C and a refreshing snack when you break into an orange. Citrus fruits are perfect for traveling with because they come in their own container. All you need to do is peel and enjoy!
3. Small Banana – A banana that is approximately 6 inches long is considered small. Enjoy this 90 calorie snack in your car, on the way to work or at your desk. Bananas provide a great source of potassium.
4. Mini Luna Bar – Luna Bars are one of the perfect pre-packaged bars. They range from 80 – 90 calories and are made from about 70% organic ingredients.
5. 100 Calorie Pack of Almonds – Portioned out for you, 100 calorie packs of almonds provide the perfect amount of this crunchy snack. A great source of monounsaturated fat, almonds are packed with fiber, magnesium, calcium and vitamin E.
6. Peach – When they’re in season, these little gems are juicy and delicious. One large peach only has roughly 65 calories. Peaches are virtually sodium free, cholesterol free and are a good source of fiber.
7. Organic Peanut Butter (Crunchy, Unsalted) – Nutrition will vary slightly based on the brand but organic peanut butter is a wonderful way to get in some vitamin B3 and heart healthy monounsaturated fat. 1 Tablespoon = 90 calories.
8. 100 Calorie Popcorn (low butter) – At 100 calories a bag, this fit food is already portioned out for you and can be popped anywhere that has a microwave. Easy to travel with, easy to eat and packed with fiber, popcorn can be a tasty snack.
9. Mini Cliff Bars – These things aren’t heavy on the protein but if you need a sweet fix, they may offer the perfect alternative. These mini bars pack 90 - 100 calories and come in flavors like chocolate chip, peanut butter and blueberry crisp. Made with organic ingredients plus protein, fiber, 23 vitamins and minerals, these little bars are great source of energy.
10. Blueberries – Yum, fresh berries are sweet and juicy. Grab yourself about 1 cup of blueberries to equal approximately 85 calories. Blueberries have fiber and are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. Munch away!
You’re on your way to healthy snacking with this list of fit foods under 100 calories. Healthy eating can be boring at times and sometimes it’s nice to have a reference to easy healthy foods so you can mix it up and keep your nutrition interesting. Make a list of your favorites and keep it on hand so you always have something to reference. Remember, being prepared is half the battle to successful health and weight loss.
By: Margot Rutigliano